Title: Skookum Youth Coordinator
Reporting to: Surrey Urban Indigenous Committee (SUILC) Coordinator
Hours: approximately 21hr/wk. 50wk/yr
Contract Amount: $31,500 at $30/hr
Contract Term: One year (May 1, 2023 - April 30, 2024) with potential for renewal
The Skookum Youth Coordinator will report to the Surrey Urban Indigenous Leadership Committee (SUILC) Coordinator and be part of the Skookum Surrey team, which operates through SUILC. The Skookum Youth Coordinator will be a liaison between Skookum Surrey and Surrey Schools and support the Surrey Schools Aboriginal Transitions Facilitator in the delivery of the Skookum Windspeaker program, an Indigenous cultural education program devoted to Indigenous students from grades 6 – 9. The Skookum Windspeaker program provides placed base experiences that facilitate learning about Indigenous culture, provides opportunities to develop leadership skills, and builds community and connections among Indigenous people living in Surrey. Activities include outdoor activity field trips, cultural retreats, participation in Skookum Surrey community-based events, and opportunities to participate in larger community events such as National Indigenous Peoples Day.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Support the Surrey Schools Aboriginal Transitions Facilitator in all aspects of delivering the monthly Skookum Windspeaker school-based activities.
- Be a liaison between Surrey Schools and Skookum Surrey
- Encourage and support Indigenous youth involvement in Skookum Windspeaker and Skookum Surrey activities and events.
- Attend Skookum Surrey team meetings.
- Attend quarterly Surrey Youth Resiliency Program Leadership Group meeting, and report on Skookum Windspeaker program progress and achievements.
- Other duties as directed by the SUILC Coordinator
- Completion of a 2-year child and youth care program, or equivalent work experience.
- Previous experience working with Indigenous youth.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work well as part of a team.
- Self-motivated and ability to work well with little supervision.
- Must complete a criminal record check in accordance with Surrey Schools requirements.
- Class 5 drivers license.
Please submit a cover letter and resume by April 11, 2023 at 4pm to
Harriet VanWart, SUILC Coordinator
Ideal candidates are Indigenous and living in Surrey